Friday, December 03, 2010

Should You Use URL Shorteners?

Last week I had a terrible experience with an online shortener - Goo.gl,
which is run by Google. The links were down for several vital days during
the whole Black Friday silliness.

It's now up again and my Goo.gl links are working again, but I have switched
back to bit.ly which I have been using for months. Just can't trust Goo.gl
anymore.

This whole incident really reminded me of how little control you have
over these short links. While they are great for sharing links and getting
your links around the web, they do have some drawbacks.

Should you use them?

There are some benefits but there are also some pitfalls to using
a shortening service... find out what they are here:


http://www.bizwaremagic.com/weblog/2010/12/03/should-you-use-url-shorteners/


Labels: , , , , ,