Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Google Slaps, Egg Baskets & Residual Income




BWMagic's Web Marketing News!


Read This Newsletter Online:
http://www.bizwaremagic.blogspot.com



.......


Contents:

o Don't Put All Your Eggs In One Basket

o Google Slap

o Residual Income

o Article Software


......


o Don't Put All Your Eggs In One Basket


Who ever came up with that saying probably
didn't have Internet or Affiliate marketing
on their minds.

But the idea behind this phrase is just as true
for Internet marketing as any situation you could
possibly imagine. This week I really discovered
the great benefit of 'not putting all your eggs
in one basket'.

First, it's an idea I have been using and putting
into practice since I started online marketing.

Instead of promoting just one affiliate program,
I promote thousands. Instead of having just one
website, I have 7 or 8. Instead of marketing to
just one niche, I have many. Instead of having
one main source of traffic, I try to develop many.
Instead of using one affiliate network, I use several
Commission Junction, LinkShare, ClickBank... if you
read this modest marketing newsletter you will
realize what I am saying is true.

But it goes deeper than that, in almost all areas
of my online marketing, I build in backup programs
and systems. If one fails, there's another one to
take its place and everything carries on as before.

This week I had some rather nasty examples of this
happening to my online marketing.

First, Apple dropped its affiliate program from
LinkShare... I have always promoted Apple products
on my sites and was looking forward to promoting
(in my own small way) the new Apple iPhone when it
comes on stream on June 29, which some online
surveys say over 70% of us would/will buy.

Great product to promote but I was no longer in
the Apple affiliate program since they will be
discontinuing it at the end of June. Now this is
where being in several affiliate networks proves
helpful, I quickly applied to Apple program in CJ
- I was turned down flat!

_________________________
Affiliate marketing tip:


This didn't stop me! Here's something I learned along
the way... if you're trying for an affiliate program like
one at Apple and you or your site get turned down, don't
give up especially if you know this would be a great
affiliate program for your site or marketing.

You can always go down one step, and apply for second
tier affiliate programs that promote your desired
products, in this case Apple products. I quickly joined
the MacMall affiliate program with CJ. MacMall is the
largest reseller of Apple products so they should be
carrying the iPhone and I can use MacMall to promote
the iPhone in my marketing.

Of course, in most cases, it is beneficial for you
to join the company's main affiliate program directly
but in some cases you can't - so this is where not
having all your eggs in one basket really comes in.


o Google Slap

Here's another example, this week I received my first
Google Slap! (I am not having a great week by the way!)

What's a Google Slap?

Since the beginning of the year, I have gone into PPC
advertising mainly for new sites that I have built, it
will supply traffic quickly until I can build up organic
traffic from the search engines which takes a lot more
time.

If you're using Google Adwords you will have your PPC
keywords and your landing pages, you pay so much per
click to bring traffic to your pages. In this case,
I had rather low minimum bids around 10 cents per click
on one of my new sites and was receiving some good traffic,
then overnight Google raised the minimum bid to 10 dollars
per click!

They judged my content and landing pages on my newer
site to be of poor quality and punished me for it.
They didn't change the minimum bids on some older more
established content pages. At least not yet, it also
leaves me with a very uneasy feeling but that's Google
unofficial hallmark - leave everyone very nervous about
anything you receive from Google. Whether it is PPC
traffic, high rankings, PR... all of it can disappear
within seconds and without warning. Ouch!

I believe it is a poor way of doing business. It promotes
paranoia or causes it in webmasters and marketers alike.
You are in constant fear of losing everything and getting
a Google Slap brings that fear to the surface very quickly.

I can't think of any other online company that has this
affect?

The whole incident totally turned me off from Adwords.
I also won't be investing much money or time into
pursuing Google Adwords... why do all that work
when you don't know when the Slap will strike and wipe
out all your PPC marketing. Google should have turned
down those pages immediately and not have marketers
wasting time developing revenue streams only to have
these sources vanish overnight.

This is what is known as a Google Slap. And it hurts!

It's rather rude of Google to do this but hey it's
Google - its their PPC program and they do can whatever
they want to it and their paying customers. I am sure
Google will survive without my Adwords business but
can any online marketer really survive and prosper
without Google?

I promptly increased my PPC budgets in both Yahoo!
Marketing and Microsoft's Adcenter. They're not
Google but they'll do! Only proves why you should
never put all your eggs in one basket... and it's a
wake-up call for me. I have to find and develop more
fully other sources of traffic and so should any online
marketer... never rely on just one source. I have become
too depended on Google for the majority of my traffic.

To be fair, I can totally understand Google's reasoning
behind getting rid of low performing ads and poor quality
pages. They have to keep their PPC standards high in order
to please their major clients. Simple quality control.

No matter what business you're in, quality must
come first.

And as much as I like Google, I hope they don't
become the dominant force on the Internet or in
the world for that matter, because where would that
leave the small honest hard working online marketer?

Probably staring at a blank laptop screen and holding
one sore cheek and offering the other. Looking down
at one egg and one basket.

And then those Google Slaps will really hurt!

...

As a side note, just take a look who is at NO. 1
on CNN's "Top 50 Who Matter Now" on the
Business 2.0 List:

Top 50 - Business 2.0


While on that Business 2.0 page have a look at:
"The man who owns the Internet"

Very interesting reading!


......................
o Residual Income
......................

This week's events just proves why residual income
should be high on everyone's list. If you do online
marketing make sure you promote some programs
that will produce residual income for you - make
one sale and receive payments for years to come.

If you sites or traffic suddenly goes burst -
you won't be totally left out in the cold.

I am still receiving monthly payments for sales I
did years ago, over time this type of income really
builds some security into your marketing system.

What has worked best for me are basic services such
as webhosting, auto responders, shopping carts...
and other business services that once you sign up
for - you rarely drop unless you have a major problem
with that service.

I am also working on some private deals with a
few companies where if I bring in paying clients
- I get a percentage of the fees for the lifetime
of that client. I have devoted a lot of my marketing
building up these companies' client base and my
residual income.

What has not worked is membership sites, any type
of multi-level marketing - people just drop off
and the revenue dries up quickly. At least this
has been my experience.

If you want to find out more about Residual Income
just follow the link to this article.

................
Feature Article
................

Residual Income: The Key To Making A Full Time
Online Income


Residual Income is often the key to making a full
time income online. However, very few people know
how to put these residual income streams into motion...
so here are a few suggestions for creating your
own online residual income streams.

Read more here:





......................
o Article Software
......................

As I mentioned in last week's newsletter, article
marketing is at the heart of my whole online business.
It is also a way of having your traffic and sales
coming from different sources on the web, not just
the search engines but from other sites carrying
your articles.

It's also a good insurance policy so you can survive
any major hits to your rankings or such things as
Google Slaps.

Here's three things you need to get article marketing
working for you:

Free Article Submitter from Brad Callen:



Article writing software:




Article Marketing Knowledge:



...


I truly hope you're having a much better week
than me!








Kind Regards,

Titus Hoskins

Labels: , , ,